THE 30 DAY ABSITE STUDY SCHEDULE
Since 2006 the ABS has offered the ABSITE as a junior level (PGY-1 and -2) and senior level (PGY-3 to -5) examination. Both the junior- and senior-level versions consist of approximately 225 multiple-choice questions; examinees are given five hours to take the exam. For the junior-level exam, 60% of the examination focuses on basic science, while 40% centers on the management of clinical surgical problems. In the senior-level exam, 20% of the exam focuses on basic science and 80% on clinical management.
STUDY PLAN – leave comments to share your progress
TAR = The Absite Review
SR = The Surgical Review
Schwartz = Schwartz Principles of Surgery
– ABSITE REVIEW: HEMATOLOGY .
– ABSITE Review Questions Hematology .
– ABSITE Review Questions Blood Products and Transfusion Reactions .
– Hematology / Hemostasis / Coagulation [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
– Transfusion / Blood products [Schwartz] [TAR]– Surgical bleeding [Schwartz]
– ABSITE Review Questions Anesthesia .
– ABSITE Review Questions Malignant Hyperthermia .
– Anesthesia / Physiologic monitoring of the surgical patient/ Anesthesia of the surgical patient [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
– Pulmonary critical care
– ABSITE REVIEW: FLUIDS AND ELECTROLYTES .
– Shock / Surgical critical care [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
– Fluids and electrolytes management of the surgical patient / Resuscitation [Schwartz][SR] [TAR] –
– Trauma [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
– ABSITE Review Questions Infection .
– ABSITE REVIEW: ANTIBIOTICS .
– ABSITE Review Questions Antibiotics .
– ABSITE Review Questions Immunology .
– ABSITE Review Questions Inflammation and Cytokines .
– ABSITE Review Questions Pharmacology Mechanism of Action .
– Clostridium difficile MCQs .
– Surgical Infectious Disease/ Surgical Infection / Antibiotics [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
– Immunology [SR][TAR]
– Inflammation and Cytokines [TAR]
– Pharmacology [TAR]
– ABSITE Review Questions Transplantation .
– Transplantation [[Schwartz]SR][TAR]
– ABSITE Review Questions Statistics .
– Statistics and Epidemiology [SR][TAR]
– ABSITE REVIEW: NUTRITION AND METABOLISM .
– Absite Review Questions Metabolism and Caloric Requirements .
– Nutrition [SR][TAR]
– Digestion, and Absorption [SR]
– Systemic response to injury and metabolic support [Schwartz]
– Molecular and genomic surgery / Cell biology [Schwartz] [TAR]
– Patient safety [Schwartz]
– Surgical considerations in the elderly [Schwartz]
– Ethics, palliative care, and care at the end of life [Schwartz]
GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT (Junior exam 10%, Senior exam 25%)
Hernias / Inguinal hernias [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
Abdomen / Abdominal wall, omentum, mesentery, and retroperitoneum [Schwartz][TAR]
Minimally Invasive surgery, robotics, and natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery / Surgical Technology [Schwartz] [TAR]
Esophagus / Esophagus and diaphragmatic hernia [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
The surgical management of obesity [Schwartz]
Small bowel / Small intestine [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
Carcinoid tumors MCQs .
Small bowel syndrome MCQs .
Ulcerative colitis vs Crohns disease MCQs .
Crohn’s Disease MCQs .
Meckel’s Diverticulum MCQs .
Small bowel obstruction MCQs .
Small bowel tumors MCQs .
SMA Syndrome MCQs .
The Appendix [Schwartz]
Appendicitis MCQs .
Rectum and anus [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
Biliary system / Gallbladder and the extrahepatic biliary system [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
Trauma (to abdominal organs) [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
Gastrointestinal hormones [TAR]
CV/RESPIRATORY (Junior exam 7.8%, Senior exam 16.7%)
Cardiac surgery / Congenital heart disease / Acquired heart disease [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
Thoracic surgery / Chest wall, lung, mediastinum and pleura [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
Trauma (to cardiac and lungs) [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
Vascular surgery/ Thoracic aneurysms and aortic dissection / Arterial disease / Venous and lymphatic disease [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
GU, Head and Neck, Skin, Musculoskeletal, CNS (Junior exam 7.8%, Senior exam 16.7%)
Otolaryngology / Disorders of the Head and Neck [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
Plastic and reconstructive surgery / Skin / The skin and subcutaneous tissue / Soft tissues [Schwartz][TAR]
Sarcoma / Soft tissue sarcomas [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
BIOPSY TECHNIQ FOREARM LESION .
Orthopedic Surgery [Schwartz] [SR][TAR]
Surgery of the hand and wrist [Schwartz]
Endocrine, Spleen, Lymphoma, Breast (Junior exam 7.8%, Senior exam 16.7%)
Adrenal gland [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
– ABSITE REVIEW: ADRENAL GLAND .
Pituitary gland [TAR]
NOT SPECIFICALLY INCLUDED
Pediatric Surgery [Schwartz][SR][TAR]
ABSITE REVIEW: PEDIATRIC SURGERY .
REVIEW SHORT TERM MEMORY TOPICS INCLUDING GASTROINTESTINAL HORMONES, CALCULATIONS, ETC.
I KNOW THE TEST IS NOT ON JAN 30TH, SO YOU WILL HAVE TO PUSH SOME OF THESE DATES UP A BIT.
GOOD LUCK! LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU FOUND THIS HELPFUL!!
ABSITE RESOURCES FOR THEM SERIOUS RESIDENTS
Click on the images below to read resident reviews and to look inside each book
ABSITE REVIEW QUESTIONS: START HERE –>What is the treatment for cervical spine fractures? (4 Absite questions)
– Study for the ABSITE by reading journal articles from general surgery journals .
ABSITE REVIEW QUESTIONS
BOOKS WITH QUESTIONS
– ABSITE Review Questions Transcription and Translation
– ABSITE Review Questions Stomach Anatomy and Physiology
– 20 Random Absite Review Questions Part 1
– ABSITE Review Questions Breast Anatomy
– ABSITE Review Questions Liver Abscess
– Absite Review Questions Metabolism and Caloric Requirements
– ABSITE Review Questions Malignant Hyperthermia
– ABSITE Review Questions Transplantation
– ABSITE Review Questions Inflammation and Cytokines
– Random ABSITE Review Questions
– ABSITE Review Questions Melanoma
– ABSITE Review Questions Burns
– ABSITE Review Questions Wound Healing
– ABSITE Review Questions Calcium Physiology
– ABSITE Review Questions Head Trauma and Traumatic Brain Injury
– ABSITE Review Questions Acute Pancreatitis
– ABSITE Review Questions Hematology
– ABSITE Review Questions Oncology
THE KEY ABSITE BOOKS FOR QUESTIONS AND REVIEW
The ABSITE Review by Steven M Fiser.
The Surgical Review: An Integrated Basic and Clinical Science Study Guideal Review .
Rush University Medical Center Review of Surgery .
The Practice ABSITE Question Book by Steven M. Fiser
The Comprehensive ABSITE Review (Fiser, Comprehensive ABSITE Review) by Steven M Fiser
The Senior ABSITE Review by Steven M Fiser
The Johns Hopkins ABSITE Review Manual (American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination)
First Aid for the® ABSITE(FIRST AID Specialty Boards) .
General Surgery ABSITE and Board Review, Fourth Edition: Pearls of Wisdom
General Surgery Review (For The Written Boards And Absite)
Absite Review, Simplified
Review of Surgery: Basic Science and Clinical Topics for ABSITE
Clinical Review of Surgery – ABSITE Edition
Pass the ABSITE!
Categorised as: ABSITE